Coronavirus (COVID-19) Notice
On 30 January 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global health emergency for COVID-19 and on 11 March 2020, WHO declared COVID-19 a pandemic. Therefore, some losses caused by or due to COVID-19 are not considered unexpected, unknown or unforeseeable and may not be covered under the terms and conditions of this insurance policy.
If you previously purchased an insurance policy, the facts and circumstances surrounding your trip and the terms, conditions and exclusions of your policy will determine the extent of coverage for COVID-19-related claims.
If you are purchasing a new policy, we have amended the AIG travel insurance policy to cover certain situations pertaining to COVID-19, depending on whether you are purchasing a return trip or a one-way trip. Full terms, conditions and exclusions can be found in the Terms and Conditions.
For return trip purchases only, please note the following highlights of what IS covered:
- Medical Expenses & Emergency Medical Evacuation & Repatriation of Remains if you contract COVID-19 while traveling internationally (up to HKD $1,937,000).
- Journey Cancellation up to 90 days before departure for non-refundable travel and or accommodation expenses if you or your immediate family member contracts COVID-19 before your scheduled trip departure date.
- Journey Curtailment for non-refundable trip costs and additional travel expenses to return to Hong Kong if you or your immediate family member contract COVID-19 while traveling internationally.
- Up to HKD $1,100/day/person for up to 14 consecutive days if while on a journey, you test positive for COVID-19, and as a result are unexpectedly placed into mandatory quarantine outside Hong Kong.
For one-way trips, the ONLY benefit available is Journey Cancellation and Journey Postponement.
What IS NOT covered under the policy under any circumstance and regardless of whether it is a return or one way trip:
- Journey Cancellation due to disinclination to travel, change of mind, or fear of travel due to COVID-19.
- Journey Cancellation or Journey Interruption due to epidemic/pandemic-related advisories issued by governments, health authorities or the World Health Organization, by or for destination country or origin country, advising against non-essential travel.
- Journey Cancellation, Journey Interruption or Journey Curtailment resulting from border closures, quarantine or other government directives.
- Journey Cancellation if an airline, hotel, travel agent or any provider of travel and/or accommodation has offered a voucher or credit for cancellation refund.
- Quarantine that is mandatory for all arriving passengers or a quarantine mandate that exists for passengers from a particular country / region of origin.
- Journey Interruption for any costs incurred for quarantine after you return to Hong Kong.
The policy also provides Assistance Services and the following are now also available with your policy:
- Assistance with booking medical appointments, accommodations or return flights to Hong Kong if you are denied boarding due to fever or other medical concern.
- Assistance with booking medical appointments, accommodations or return flights to Hong Kong if you are denied entry to another country due to fever or other medical concern.
- Assistance with booking medical appointments, accommodations or return flights to Hong Kong when you are medically cleared to fly if you feel ill during your international trip.